Chemistry is the most interesting of the three branches of Science. It is the reason most students opt for Science in their plus twos. Some want to become Analytical chemists, forensic experts, professors, chemical engineers, etc. Regardless of the field you choose, it is important to score well in Chemistry. However, the Class 11 Chemistry syllabus is vast, and therefore, you need to study smartly. Chemistry needs clarification of concepts and topics, and for that, you need to know your syllabus thoroughly. Knowing the syllabus will help you have an understanding of the hierarchy of priorities of chapters. Based on this you can plan your study timetable easily.
What is the paper pattern for the CBSE Class 11 Chemistry exam?
The Chemistry paper consists of a total of 100 marks which gets divided into two segments. The first segment (theory exam) carries 70 marks, whereas the second segment (practical assessment) carries 30 marks. The theory question paper has four sections, Section A, Section B, Section C, Section D. The question paper has 33 questions, with Section A consisting of 16 questions, the first two questions of four marks each, and the rest of one mark weightage, Section B consisting of 9 questions of two marks each, Section C consisting of 5 questions of three marks each, and Section D comprising of 3 questions of five marks each. Although there are no overall choices in the questions, the question paper has internal choices in two questions of one mark weightage, two questions of two marks, four questions of three marks weightage, and all the three questions of five marks weightage.
Suggested– How Can You Get Success To Clear UPSC NDA Exam?
What is the syllabus for CBSE class 11 Chemistry and the marks weightage of each chapter?
There are fourteen chapters in total in the syllabus of Class 11 Chemistry. These chapters are as follows:
- The basic concept of Chemistry,
- Structure of atom,
- Classification of Elements & Periodicity in properties,
- Chemical bonding and molecular structure,
- States of Matter: Gases and liquids,
- Redox reaction,
- s-Block elements,
- Some p-Block elements,
- Organic chemistry: basic principles and techniques,
- Environmental Chemistry.
What are the crucial chapters in Class 11 Chemistry?
All the Class 11 chemistry chapters are vital, and you need to study all the chapters thoroughly to have a grip on the concepts and a clear understanding of the same. Some crucial and scoring chapters in Class 11 Chemistry are:
- Atomic structure- The Atomic Structure is one of the basic-level chapters in Class 11. The question paper has most of the objective-type questions from this particular chapter. You have to have a piece of in-depth knowledge about the atoms and understand and practice the diagrams.
- Chemical bonding and molecular structure– The crucial questions of class 11 Chemistry are based majorly upon chemical bonds and the molecular structure associated with them. It is important to have thorough knowledge about how the compounds make bonds and retain their stability. You do not want to skip this chapter as it will help you score good marks.
- Hydrocarbons- This chapter is a scoring one as it contains all the primary concepts of organic chemistry. You can thoroughly learn about hydrocarbons and the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) names.
- Organic Chemistry: Some Basic Principles and Techniques- This chapter covers concepts of all the organic structures and their reactions. Moreover, you can learn about the classification and nomenclature of organic compounds, quantitative and qualitative analysis of organic compounds, etc. Usually, there are several questions from this chapter, and hence it is one of the crucial chapters.
- Environmental Chemistry- This chapter includes several concepts of pollution, such as Environmental Pollution, Atmospheric Pollution, Water Pollution, Soil Pollution, etc. It also includes the steps to control these pollutions. These concepts are easy to learn and understand. Moreover, this chapter will help you get acquainted with the crux of artificial pollution, which is crucial for students to enrich their knowledge.
- States of matter: gases and liquids– This is a chapter that you might have already learned in previous classes. It will be easy for you to grasp all the concepts as you have already covered basics.
All the topics covered in these chapters are essential. However, only studying these chapters will not fetch you good marks. It is important to cover other chapters as well to score good marks. These topics include:
- Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry- Important topics include Dalton’s Atomic Theory, Stoichiometry, Stoichiometric Calculations, Mole Concept and Molar Masses, and percentage composition.
- Classification of Elements in the Periodic Table along with their Periodicity in Properties- Modern Periodic Law and the current form of the Periodic Table, Nomenclature of Elements with Atomic Numbers greater than hundred, and Configurations of the elements in the period table.
- Chemical Thermodynamics- Important topics include Gibbs Energy Change and Equilibrium, First law of thermodynamics, and Enthalpies for Different Types of Reactions.
- Equilibrium- Buffer solution, all the types of Equilibriums, and factors affecting Equilibrium.
- Redox reactions- Your focus should be on Redox reactions and electrode process, and oxidation number.
- s-Block elements- group 1 and group 2 elements. Their characteristics and properties.
- p-Block elements- focus on group 13 and group 14 Elements.
Learning Chemistry takes time. You will not be able to ace your exams overnight. Understanding the concepts and grasping the fundamentals also takes time. Chemistry only seems tricky if not studied with consistency. But, if you chose Science in Class 11, Chemistry will play an important role when it comes to scoring good marks. Therefore, it should not be difficult to score well if you study the entire year with zeal and enthusiasm. It is the most interesting and scoring subject of the three branches of Science. Practice builds confidence, and confidence is all you need to ace your exams. Hence, do not panic, have faith in your preparations, and go and rock your exams!