1. What Is Blepharoplast
2. As skin ages, it loses its elasticity. So many people develop ‘hooded’ upper eyelids and/or bags under their lower eyelids. These changes give your face an aging or tiring look. This can be corrected with blepharoplasty or more commonly known as eyelid surgery or under-eye bags correction procedure. It is one of the commonest cosmetic procedures, which removes extra skin and/ or fat from your upper as and lower eyelids.
Blepharoplasty or Brow Lift?
If you have heaviness in upper eyelid and you feel that your eyelid skin is sagging then your cosmetic surgeon has to decide whether you need a blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) or a brow lift. For that one has to see the position of your eyebrows. Normally eyebrows are located at upper boney rim of the orbit and in women they slightly arch upwards. If your eyebrows are at normal position and you have ‘hooded’ upper eyelid skin, then you require a blepharoplasty. If eyebrows are at level lower than orbital rim, there is brow crease and on manual elevation of eyebrows extra skin over eyelid disappears then you are a candidate for brow lift surgery.
Blepharoplasty Can Be Done Under Local Anesthesia
If you are fearful of undergoing complete anesthesia then no worries- blepharoplasty of all four eyelids can be done under local anesthesia where you will be fully conscious and aware of surroundings. On other hand if you are apprehensive of the procedure then some light sedation can be given in addition to local anesthesia make you calm and sleep.
· Blepharoplasty Can Be Performed With Other Procedures
· There are various surgical as well as nonsurgical procedures which can be performed with blepharoplasty. Face lift, brow lift and fat grafting are common surgical procedures and laser facial skin resurfacing is the commonest nonsurgical procedure performed in combination with blepharoplasty.
· Recovery Period After Blepharoplasty Is Improved With Certain Precautions
· Almost all candidates of blepharoplasty experience some swelling and discoloration of eyelids after blepharoplasty. Swelling generally resolves in two weeks while discoloration sometimes takes longer time. You can easily camouflage them with good make up and by wearing sunglasses. Following are some tips which will improve your recovery after blepharoplasty-
· Don’t stress your eyes
· Avoid sun exposure
· Avoid strenuous activities
· Take plenty of rest
· Apply icepacks over operated area.
· Scars After Blepharoplasty Are Barely Visible
· The incisions for skin excision in upper and lower eyelid blepharoplasty are taken in natural skin creases. So in long term scars after blepharoplasty are barely visible. In lower eyelids, if no skin excision is required, Dr. Ashish Sangvikar prefers to take incision inside the eyelids ( Transconjuctival Blepharoplasty) so there will be absolutely no scar visible on eyelids.
· Results Of Blepharoplasty Are Long Lasting
· If done properly by an expert board certified cosmetic surgeon then result of blepharoplasty should be long lasting. Though eyelid will still age after blepharoplasty a repeat blepharoplasty is rarely needed. In some people if upper eyelid skin sags again, a brow lift rather than a blepharoplasty is performed.